For some, unsightly lines on the face can be a nightmare. Wrinkles can appear on your face, neck, hands or any other place because the skin loses its elasticity and moisture as you age. Factors that may affect the appearance of these ugly lines include aging, pollution, sun damage, smoking, drugs, drastic weight loss, and nutrient efficiency. While wrinkles cannot be entirely removed when they’re already there, you can make use of various remedies that can prevent wrinkles from dominating your skin.
Diet Modifications to Prevent Wrinkles
Wrinkles are visible on your skin, but at most times, the root cause of these ugly lines lie deep within. You must nourish your skin with a variety of essential foods that keep your skin to produce more collagen — the thing responsible for maintaining your skin’s elasticity.
1. Drink more water. Our body badly needs water, and we tend to ignore the early signs of dehydration. When we drink water, we avoid and treat wrinkles, but the bigger picture is that water keeps us healthy in general. Drinking 8 or more glasses of water keeps your skin hydrated by sealing in the moisture on your skin.
2. Eat healthily. Choose foods rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and trace minerals such as selenium and copper. It is also important to include protein, isoflavones, retinol, iron, and vitamins C and E on your diet. Here’s a list of foods from which you may get all these nutrients:
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts
- Legumes, beans, and lentils
- Oily fish like tuna, salmon, herring and sardines
- Flaxseed and sunflower seeds and oil.
- Brazil nuts
- Whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat, and oats.
- Green and white tea
- Soy foods (should be eaten in moderation)
- Fruits like papaya, avocado, pineapple, berries, watermelon
- Vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, ginger, garlic
3. Cut out crash diets.
Losing and regaining weight repeatedly can do hard on your skin. Doing so causes sagging, stretch marks, and wrinkles to appear. Giving in to crash diets also lack the essential nutrients that your body needs, so that also takes a toll on your skin.
Factors such as pollution, stress, and smoking can cause wrinkles. So, it is very influential that you change your lifestyle if you want to improve the condition of your skin. Stay active and start a healthier lifestyle to help you reduce and prevent wrinkles from ruining your glowing skin.
4. Sleep enough and sleep right.
When you sleep, your body produces the Human Growth Hormone (HGH) which controls the growth of the tissues of your body, including your skin. If your sleep is not enough, your body releases the hormone called cortisol, which is a stress hormone responsible for the slowing down of new cell growth. It also damages your tissues. This is why you need to make sure that you’re getting the right amount and quality of sleep that your body (and skin) needs.
5. Stay away from stress.
Admit it, It is not easy to get rid and prevent wrinkles. You also need to get rid of stress because it thins out your skin and also makes your skin weak. A weak barrier means that the skin cannot fight with the elements that produce wrinkles. Frowning, scowling, and glaring also makes your lines get worse. So it is recommended that you find ways to stay away from stress as much as possible,
6. Do not smoke.
Smoking produces free radicals that lead to your body’s molecular instability. And in turn, it weakens and kills body cells by damaging their cell membranes. As a result, the way your body produces collagen will be affected. When your skin lacks collagen, it lacks elasticity. And when this happens, your skin is more prone to having wrinkles and will ruin your looks.
7. Use sunscreen regularly.
Exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays can damage your skin’s collagen production, leading to wrinkles. To prevent this from happening. Use a sunscreen that contains a broad-spectrum SPF, as it is effective in protecting you from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Also make use of sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats, scarves, and umbrellas to protect yourself from the sun.
8. Use beauty products with care.
We use beauty products and cosmetics to improve the condition of our skin, but we often end up damaging the skin even more. So it is very important to be aware of cosmetics that can harm your skin and lead to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Avoid products that have alcohol in them because it dries up your skin by dehydrating it. Skin that lacks moisture forms wrinkles fast. Instead, go for water-based solutions. You should also refrain from over-washing your face. Doing so can strip your skin of its natural oils and moisture that protect your skin against wrinkles. It can also worsen when you use harsh and synthetic products on your face.
More tips on part 2 of this series. Please stay tuned!